Submitted by Holli Karr
Vegetarian Chopped Liver
My mom would send me recipes all the time and when I became a vegan, she started sending me veggie only recipes. I have all her famous meatballs, salmon loaf and sorry Charlie tuna noodle casserole recipes but although those were some of my favorites I no longer make any of that. She was always asking what I was up to and what I would use to substitute ingredients. She’d joke all the time about what was substituted!
Enjoy this Vegetarian Chopped Liver recipe!
- 3 Tablespoons canola (or vegetable) oil
- ½ lb. mushrooms
- sliced 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (finely ground)
- Sauté mushrooms and onions until well browned and caramelized. (You can supplement all or some of the oil with vegetable soup broth) until well browned (I sauté the onions separately from the mushroom; then add them together at the end.)
- Put all in the food processor and process until blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.