Submitted by Allegra Reynolds
My mother, Ren’ee’s best friend in school was a Greek/Jewish descent-she taught my mom to speak Greek, the Greek culture, and of course great Greek cooking-like stuffed grape leaves, individual Baklava roll-ups and Loukoumades also known as Zalabia (my personal favorite sweet). Another family favorite is this easy, delicious and versatile recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls which were one of my father’s favorites that my mom made. I got her to jot down this recipe a while ago and shared it with my sisters-never thinking that anyone else would enjoy having it…until now
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1lb ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp pepper
- 2-3 tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- Boil the head of cabbage for 10-15 minutes (or as needed).
- Remove stem and separate 10-15 leaves. Set on paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, cooked rice, chopped onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and minced fresh parsley. Blend together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon turkey/rice mixture on each cabbage leaf (about 2-3 TBL).
- Roll up and place seam side down on 9×13 casserole baking dish. I
- n medium bowl, mix tomato sauce, diced tomato, pepper to taste and chili flakes.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture over cabbage rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Uncover, serve with tossed green salad and present to your loving family!
Note from Allegra: I added the pepper flakes which you can omit and I added some chopped parsley and Italian seasoning- it’s your choice- Enjoy!